Translate

2.29.2020

Trip Plans: 2020 Season

This year marks my first as a Cedar Fair Platinum Passholder. I will be striking a balance all year between maximizing the value of the pass and adhering to a prudent budget. However, we are only young once, and so it will take only the flimsiest of excuses to send me further afield than I would previously have gone for coasters. The following plans are all loose, and I may post follow-ups when I have more concrete itineraries:


April 19

My "season" has a small chance to begin in April. I will not be attending Kings Island's Opening Day, as I am a practicing Catholic and have slightly more important things to do that weekend. However, the following weekend is a ripe opportunity to process my Platinum Pass, get up close and personal with Orion for the first time, snap some early-season pics, and hop on whatever rides strike my fancy.

May 10

The next park in my general range to open is Cedar Point - and I will likely attend part of Opening Weekend, with or without another Passholder in tow. I know that the new Gold Pass offering at Cedar Point has many people worried about crowds, and I am hoping to counteract my natural impatience by simply making more trips - lowering the "urgency" of hitting any number of rides. I think I will make that trip my own personal "B&M Day," as Valravn is the only credit I have yet to pick up, and I have foregone Raptor on my last few trips due to wait times.

May 22-23

My geographical homepark is Michigan's Adventure, but as of this writing, I have never been. I will remedy that early and often this season. Unfortunately, the park does not open until Memorial Day Weekend, but once the season is underway, I will be making frequent day trips. My first visit will probably be a solo trip on Opening Weekend, to take photos and get objective first rides on the coasters. As the park does not appear to have quite enough to support multiple extended stays, I will offer a standing invitation to anybody who wants to make a day trip with me (to take advantage of my Platinum Pass parking). If I am actually sharing this blog by then, this would include nearby members of the enthusiast community. I will write at least one trip report on Michigan's Adventure this summer.

June

I have taken a month-long performing engagement in June, but I will have at least one weekday off per week. Cue impulsive day trips to the three aforementioned parks. If I end up with consecutive days off, I will probably plan to spend a night in Cincinnati to allow for night rides on The Beast.

July 12-24

In July, I have virtually nothing on my schedule, and I intend to spend as much of July in the seat of a roller coaster train as humanly possible. Gas is virtually my only expense for the three parks listed above, though this is no small amount for Kings Island or Cedar Point. However, I am attempting to put together a "major" coaster road trip, more or less a miniaturized version of the ones so lovingly documented by Airtime Thrills or ElToroRyan. I will not be gone all twelve of these days, but I will attempt to make a "ring" around the Great Lakes and Appalachian parks, maximizing Cedar Fair stops, and potentially squeezing in a few others. Parks under consideration are:

Realistically, I am all but counting on finding travel mates for some or all of this trip. I will arm myself with a cooler full of temperature-resilient foods, to minimize eating in parks (except when a park is known for a specific treat, like Potato Patch fries). I will be looking for hotels halfway between parks, rather than in the direct vicinity, hoping to keep costs down.

August

In August, I will likely not do much coaster-riding. Much like June, if somebody approaches me about going, I will gladly travel to a Cedar Fair park on an impulsive whim, but I think this will be very much a month of winding down and recharging.

September 11-12

I will be taking a day from work to watch the Western Michigan Broncos take on the Cincinnati Bearcats. Not only will this mean a short work week, it will also mean substantial Kings Island time, likely to close out my 2020 season. I will head from the park to the game. If the game is over early enough (or is a foregone conclusion), I will likely head from the game back to the park, for some coveted night rides on The Beast. I will avail myself of Extended Ride Time on Saturday, heading home whenever I feel ready.

October

Barring a planned group trip, I personally have little interest in the Halloween-themed events. They represent long drives for thick crowds. However, I'll never say never...

Unless this year is a disaster, I will probably renew my pass for 2021. In addition to these plans, if anybody actually finds their way to this vlog, I am also open to planning meet-and-rides with other online coaster enthusiasts, provided that all parties practice good security hygiene (meeting in a public location, friends aware of our whereabouts, all in control of our rides home). Happy riding, all - I hope to make the most of a first year "deliberately" doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment